Saturday, April 5, 2008

IUD- Incredibly Uncomfortable Damage...

Okay, so really it's an Intrauterine device, but really, what's the difference?

My horror story began a week ago... Last Friday I was scheduled for my post-op visit with my doctor. We discussed birth control and I decided on the copper IUD. Well, I had the IUD after Ethan, and let me tell you that 4 years of no worry about taking a pill, scheduling the shot, or buying protection for Chris, was awesome! Anyway, when my doctor placed the IUD, he was a little concerned that it was in too far. He ordered an ultra sound. Upon reviewing the ultra sound he confirmed that the IUD was pinching the muscle in my uterus. He said that if there were any problems to let him know. I waited out the weekend with a ton of cramping and spotting, which never ceased. I called my doctor on Monday and explained I was still having issues. He asked me to come in and see him, so I scheduled an appt for Tuesday, with the intention of having the IUD removed. I will say that I am a big baby, those that know me won't argue that fact at all. But, I was in a LOT of pain and keeping the IUD was no longer an option. So, for the second time in less than a week, my pretty little piggy's ended up in stirrups. When my doctor went to remove the IUD, he stated that it was gone. "Gone? Gone where?" I had no clue that it could just disappear... I guess that's what I get for not reading that consent form I signed? Anyway, the IUD was no longer in it's place, which was not a good thing. So, Thursday I was back at the hospital. This time I did an X-Ray, which confirmed the IUD was still in my body, so off to the ultrasound to try and figure out where it was. The ultrasound couldn't see the IUD. My doctor was trying to find the placement of it so that it could be removed. I should tell you that I love my doctor, he is a general practitioner, and not an OB/GYN. So, after the results of the X-Ray and ultrasound, I went in to see my doctor, who referred me to an OB/GYN. Friday morning I went to the gyno, who introduced me to his stirrups. Never in my life (or three deliveries), have I felt so violated. This doctor now attempted to search around for the IUD with some instruments that basically looked like very long tweezers and a mascara applicator, to scrape my uterus and dislodge (is that a word?) the IUD. That didn't work... although I don't have a PHD, or even attempt to understand anatomy, I could have told him that! So, now it's off to surgery on Monday morning... Yippee! The doctor is going to make an incision in my lower abdomen and go in with a scope to try and find the IUD and remove it. I had my Gaul bladder removed about 3 years ago, and asked if the doctor could use 1 of the 4 incisions I now have on my tummy. He said those incisions on my belly button are too high and he couldn't use them; to which my wonderful husband commented "that's okay honey, it's just one more hole in your belly..." Men! They sure know how to make you feel better.

I don't really know what the point of this post is, I guess just mostly to vent. I hope I don't scare people, because the IUD was wonderful for me the first time. But, I do hope if you have one, check for your string; if you don't have one, ask lots of questions! Knowledge is power (isn't that a GI Joe thing or something?) Well, I'm off to take another Percocet and hit the sack.

9 comments:

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

I have heard stories like this before. No fun! I LOVED LOVED LOVED my IUD! I barely cramped after they put it in (and my doctor told me it would probably be worse where I had never had a baby). I got the Mirena though. I hear your periods can be worse with the copper IUD's, not sure if it is true or not. Removal was even easier. Literally my doctor was in the room maybe 30 seconds.

I hope you feel better!

Charles Family said...

Oh my gosh Brittany!! I am scheduled to go in Monday and I was going to get an IUD. Now I am not so sure. I have never heard of anything like this before. Brittany let me know if you need help with your boys. We would love to have them come play. I hope everything goes well. I will remeber you in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

Serious - PUKE CITY! Eewww! You poor girl! I am so not into anything medical! I am one of those people that pass out super easy (as you know!) Call me and I'll bring you Cafe Rio takeout and you will feel better! Loves!

Josh, Lindsie, and Ava said...

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry! That sounds horrible. That is so weird that you just have this little IUD floating around somewhere in your body. Hopefully the surgery is quick and a success.

Shannon said...

Yikes Brittany! That is terrible. I was planning on getting one as well. Don't know if you deterred me or not, but now I'll at least ask lots of questions. I was also planning on getting the mirena. I heard it's not as invasive as the copper IUD??? I don't know. Well I hope everything goes well. I am so sorry to hear about this very strange occurence.

Brittany said...

Michelle, get the IUD. They are awesome, but I think the Mirena, like Pam was saying are better. Thank you everyone for your comments... I'm a little high right now, but I had to check our blog. You are all wonderful friends, thanks again for your support.

Brittany said...

And by the way, they found the missing IUD right next to my colon in a thin layer of fat... Nice, huh?

Shannon said...

I am soooooo excited to see you guys next weekend. Your little peanut is already so much bigger. Wonder if he'll recognize us. :)

jallen06 said...

Oh my gosh Britt!!! Honey I'm glad you are better, miss you!!! Jolie